How To Projects
Embossing can turn any project into next level crafting!
Supplies:Outside and lining fabric – ½ yard of each
Heavy Pellon® - 2 yards (fusible or non fusible)
Sewing machine, related supplies, clear ruler and pencil for marking
- Cut 18”x24” rectangles out of each print and 2 from Pellon® (for large bin)
- Cut 10”x17” rectangles out of each print and 2 from Pellon® (for small bin)
- Iron Pellon® to back of each piece or sew ¼” from edge to attach pieces
- Fold and pin each piece (RST) to form rectangles (lg. 18”x 12”, sm. 10”x 8.5”)
- Crease bottom fold and stitch ½” seam along each side, press seams open;
- To make boxed corner - open each bin and pinch fabric so that the bottom crease and the side seam are perfectly aligned (place a straight pin in the crease and poke thru to the middle of the seam to double check) this will form a point
- Lay this piece on a flat work surface and measure 4” for the large (2” for the small) from the point up the seam being sure your ruler is level with equal amounts of fabric on each side of the seam and at the 4” mark.
- Draw a line along the ruler at the 4” mark (2” for small) and stitch along the line; trim ½” from this stitching line. Repeat for all corners.
- Open project so they sit as bins. Bin should be facing right side in and lining bin is facing right side out. Place lining bin into main bin. Side seams should match as well as corners. Pin around top edge. Stitch all the way around the top with a ½” seam and leave a 4” opening along one side for turning. Stitch then press with iron.
- Gently pull bin through opening, make sure corners match, press top edge so it lies flat, (turn 4” opening seam under) now stitch around top close to edge. Press bin. Top edge can be turned down for a decorative finish or to shorten the sides.
Supplies:¼ yard of 3 different flannel prints (cut 3 8" squares from each print)
½ yard of flannel for the back (cut 9 8" squares )
Spring action scissors (small)
- Take each front square and put wrong sides together with a back square
- Stitch 1/2" around the 4 edges of each square (an "X" in the middle is not necessary)
- Repeat with all the other pairs for a total of 9 squares
- Lay out squares in desired pattern, be cautious if using a directional print
- One row at a time pin 3 squares wrong sides together and stitch ½” seam.
- Repeat with second and third rows.
- Pin rows together. Where seams match up be sure to pin seams in opposite directions; stitch 1/2" seam. Watch video for more details. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-LQfYXrG_Q&index=43&list=UUPxjnslIQVwKStoOLUbS_0Q
- Snip around all edges about 1/3” apart being careful to not snip blanket.
- Wash rag quilt in warm water with detergent. Use no fabric softener (yet)
- Shake quilt before drying (no dryer sheet). Clean lint trap after drying.
- Repeat wash and dry; this time use fabric softener or dryer sheets.