8" squares of flannel (a 35" square blanket will take 1/2 yard each of 5 flannel patterns) Quilt dimensions will be determined by # of squares chosen.
Spring action scissors recommended
Optional: 1 1/4 yards of batting
Directions: Read carefully before beginning
DO NOT PRE-WASH FLANNEL OR BATTING
1. Cut 8" squares out of all your prints.
2. Take two squares of same print (wrong sides together) and stitch together with a 1/2" seam. (Optional - put 8" square of batting between the 2 pieces before stitching. After stitching a 1/2" seam around edge, open seam and trim away batting close to seam without cutting seam. Top stitch an "X" over block going from corner to corner.)
3. Lay your sewn squares out to create a design (this quilt is 5 squares by 5 squares).
4. Sew the blocks together in strips. Do this by sewing the squares together with a 1/2" seam placing the backs of each square together and stitching. (I pinned my squares into strips and then sewed them together.)
5. Once strips are sewn together, sew them to one another with 1/2" seams and back sides together. Pin strips together being sure to match seams. (When matching seams pin first strip with seams pressed down and second strip with seams pressed up.)
6. Snip each seam and entire outer perimeter of quilt edge. Snip at 1/2" intervals and to within 1/8" of all seams. Be careful not to cut into the stitching.
7. Now wash your rag quilt in warm water and detergent. Use no fabric softener (yet).
8. Shake quilt before drying (no dryer sheet). Clean lint trap once/twice during drying.
9. Repeat wash and dry only this time use fabric softener or dryer sheets. Clean lint trap half way thru.