How To Projects — apron
2 yards of fabric (1 yard of each color)
Pins, scissors and ruler
- Lay pattern on the fabric following measurements in the diagram; draw lines to complete pattern on fabric
- Cut out apron.
- Along bottom edge of the fabric that is left cut 2 strips 3x30” each, along the side cut 2 pockets 13x7” each
- Fold each pocket in half, right sides together, (so it is close to a square shape)
- Stitch 1/2” seam on both sides and just around each corner, leave about a 3” opening so that you can easily turn it right side out
- Trim seams and corners, turn right side out and press
- Along the open edge of the pocket turn raw edges inside and press
- Repeat for all pockets
- Pin pockets to apron. Each pocket should be about 3 ½” from the side and 5 ¾” from the bottom
- Top stitch all pockets close to the edge being sure to back stitch at the top for extra strength
- To make the ties fold one short end up ½” and press, now fold in half lengthwise and press, open and fold long edges to the inside and press both folds, fold again so that the 2 folded edges meet and press again.
- Top stitch close to the edge with the 2 folds and around the end, repeat for all 4 ties (2 from each print)
- Pin ties with raw edges of apron and tie lined up at the waist and at the top; follow marks on the pattern for placement being sure that ties are not sewn into the seam.
- Pin both aprons right sides together matching corners and edges; be sure all ends of ties are in the middle and not going to get caught in a seam
- Stitch ½” seam all the way around the apron leaving a 10” opening along the bottom edge to turn the apron right side out
- Trim seams and corners; do not trim along the bottom opening; and turn apron right side out
- Turn raw edges at bottom of apron to the inside and press around entire apron being sure to press along all seams
- Top stitch ¼” around the entire edge of the apron, this will close up opening at the bottom
- Give one final pressing and you are good to go!! Enjoy